Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gratitude

Today I am so grateful for so many things.

1.  I woke up to a Facebook message from a cousin-in-law thanking me for Meem's green enchilada recipe that I sent her and telling me how much she misses Meem and wishes she had her turkey stuffing recipe.  And I had the stuffing recipe! Happiness!!!  My husband loves green enchiladas so one time while I was at Meem's house I got her to let me follow her around in the kitchen and write down what she did to make it.  Then a year or two later Meem said she thought it would be the last time she made her stuffing so I wrote that down too.  I miss her.  We all do.  But I am so grateful that I got to be one of her grandkids.  You want those recipes, don't you!?  I think Meem wouldn't mind.  She was sweet like that.


Green Enchiladas

1.5 lb ground beef, browned with ½ - 1 onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 large and 1
small can chopped green chilies, warmed with ¾ can of water
1 lb longhorn cheese, grated

Layer – Doritos, Meat, Cheese, Soup
Finish with cheese then soup.
Bake 350 for 25 – 30 min.


 Meem's Turkey Stuffing

1 large pan of cornbread
< 1 loaf of white bread, toasted
6 eggs, beaten
4 stalks of celery, chopped
4 onions, finely chopped
chicken broth to moisten
sage to taste (~1-2tsp)
salt and pepper to taste

Crumble breads.  Mix in eggs, celery, onions, chicken broth, sage, and salt and pepper until very moist.  Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until top is slightly crusted and eggs are cooked.

2.  I am so grateful for Compassion today.  My little girl's name is Anna.  She is eight and will turn nine July 1st.  I remember this because Compassion sent me a reminder that it takes three months for gifts to get to her.  I hope that my gifts make her birthday special and bless her family.  I pray for her often and hope to meet her someday.  My tiny monthly gift, that just posts to my credit card so I don't even have to think about it, feeds and educates her and makes it possible for her very old parents to have peace of mind for their late in life little girl.  If you want a little piece of this joy, just log on to Compassion and pick a child.  You won't be sorry.  It has been one of the things I have been grateful for a lot of days.

3.  I am grateful for peaceful music.  This morning I am enjoying Gungor.  You might enjoy them too.


4.  I am grateful for my big bathtub.  I take a bath every other day (I shower on the other days, don't worry) and it's a little bit of an event every time because I have this big jacuzzi tub.  The jacuzzi jets aren't really placed well and it has some cracks.  Someday we should replace it.  But everytime I use it I am just grateful for it, even a year and half after we moved here.  It's just one of those little joys that makes my life beautiful.  

5.  I am grateful for the men in my life.  My hubby is putting a beautiful wood parquet floor down in the office today.  It came out of my mom and dad's old bedroom and my dad pulled it up piece by piece so that it wouldn't go to waste.  That's just like my parents.   They don't waste anything.  They were green before it was cool, but don't tell them that.  They like to think they are just frugal.

6.  Speaking of men in my life, my son is going to a concert in Dallas tomorrow with some wonderful friends.  I am so glad he gets to do that.  It has been such a joy to have him home and see him grow into a wonderful young man.  

7.  I am grateful for my job and the opportunity to learn and grow in it.  Speaking of which, I'd better finish getting dressed and get to work!  


No comments: