Monday, May 21, 2012

Multi-Tasking

I have developed a really bad habit of multitasking. All the time.

I used to think it was a good thing but it has become a problem - even an addiction.  At first, I just didn't like sitting to watch t.v. without something to do in my hands because it felt like a waste of time, but now I really can't just sit and watch something and I even find it difficult to stay tuned in to a whole conversation, especially when I am in work mode - which is most of the time.

And there in lies the problem.

If I'm watching t.v. with my family I am also usually crocheting or (sigh) playing solitaire.  This doesn't seem like a big deal but I frequently miss important parts of the t.v. show while I'm looking at my game or project.  Then I either ask hubby to rewind or I spend the rest of the show trying to figure out the plot line without an important piece of the story.  This isn't a  big deal with a sitcom or even a movie but I have noticed that it has bled into real life interactions and there's no rewind button on real life.

The problem isn't the crocheting, it's the lack of focused attention and it has blurred into most areas of my life.  When I'm driving, talking on the phone, or even just waiting for a program to load on my computer, I find myself looking for something else to do.  The other day I realized I was doing it while a family member was talking to me and decided I need to stop.  It caused me to wonder how often I do that to my loved ones?  Do I tune out with them while they are talking to me?  If so, I'm sure I am missing out on important pieces of their plot line as well.  This is a real problem since I am a main character in those stories.

Can you imagine if the main characters of the shows you watch spent the majority of the show trying to figure out what just happened so they can respond to it appropriately?  It reminds me of one of my favorite skits on SNL, Garth and Kat.  It's funny on t.v. but not so funny in real life.  (Although I have a hilarious house church singing story to tell you sometime that reminds me of this skit!)

So, I have decided to attempt to correct this problem and be in the moment.  I think my first exercise will be to force myself to watch a 30 minute sitcom without doing anything else.  I don't think I'd better try a one hour show.  That might be like running a marathon your first time out.  I am also going to try putting down whatever I am doing with my hands when a loved one starts talking to me so that I can listen, really listen.

I don't want to catch the highlight reel of my family's life.  I want to be a main character.

Pray for me.

No comments: