Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Funny House Church Story

Here's that funny house church singing story:

A while back my husband and I went to our WONDERFUL house church.

By the way, let me just stop there and say that if you aren't getting to know some fellow believers in a deep way and being known in a deep way, you are missing out.  Find a house church.  It's worth the search.

Commercial over.

Our church is blessed by some amazing worship leaders. We have an abundance of artists of all kinds and when I say our worship leaders are amazing, I mean that we have a LOT of AMAZING worship leaders/singer/songwriters.  One of them, Kelsey, leads our housechurch worship.  God blesses us each week with His presence as we worship together.  

One night Kelsey sang a song over us, which means she sang it and we listened and meditated on it and then she invited us to sing along with her.  It was a beautiful song and we all wanted to join in but it wasn't on the printout of words.  So, our group did the best we could.  Picture thirty people, ages 20-80, following a song they just heard.  It was a quiet, meditative song and all of a sudden I got this picture in my head (after the ad go to 1:03 to get to the picture that was in my head):

'

(I really have to tell you that our house church didn't look like that AT ALL.  We were just a little behind Kelsey and kind of mumbly but it made me THINK of that skit and that was all it took.  I am so immature.)

. . . anyway, I couldn't get that picture out of my head and I started laughing.  It was tragic.  Then to make matters worse, in answer to Wade's worried look at me, I whispered "this reminds me of that SNL skit" to him and he started laughing.  By the end of the song, we were practically crying from trying so hard not to laugh out loud.

I always thought laughing in the quiet parts of a church service was the worst.  Trust me.  Laughing in the quiet parts of house church can be just as uncomfortable.

Maybe worse.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Funny! Wish I could see the video, but it isn't showing up. I'll watch it on HULU.

Catherine said...

I'm sorry! I can watch it on mine so I don't know how to fix that! :(