Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wasted Time




Today I had a 9AM, an 11AM, and a 3PM appointment on my schedule. It was already going to be a slow work day but I planned to use the time to get some paperwork done.

Around 11 my 11AM appointment rescheduled to 1PM. They were at the doctor's office. Cool. I totally get that. Doctors appointments take all day for some reason. We are sliding into managed health care apparently. A little before 1, the client knew that appointment also wouldn't happen due to the doctor time warp.

Hmmmm . . . what to do, what to do until 3? I had completed my paperwork so I was a little bit um . . . sleepy . . . so instead of taking a 5 hour energy, I took a 15 minute power nap in a counseling room.

Then I started thinking about my 3PM appointment. It occurred to me that she is normally an every other week session and she came last week because we had to cancel the week before. Did she know she was supposed to be at my office in 20 minutes? So I texted her a 'confirmation' text and . . . sure enough . . . she was planning to come next week. Thanks mono for messing up my calendar.

So, I got my stuff together and headed for the casa, thinking about all of the wonderful crafty things I could have done with the day if I had known I was finished at 10AM. GRRRR . . . a personal pep talk was required. I reminded myself of all the paperwork I gotten done and patted myself on the back and began thinking about what I would make for supper since I had more than 3 hours until it needed to be ready.

I decided on chicken pot pie with fall leaf cut outs for the top layer. I cooked the chicken breasts, made the white sauce, and texted my hubby to ask him to get milk on his way home if he wanted cereal in the morning. That's when he reminded me that he had a work dinner tonight. My teenager-still-living-at-home was eating with friends. And I had 3/4 of a Little Ceasar's cheese pizza left from lunch.

So finally I gave into the sulk that had been brewing since around lunch time and sat on the couch, eating cold pizza, drinking a coke (which I'll regret at 2 in the morning), and watching reruns of the Mentalist. I seriously don't know what else I could've done with what was left of the day.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Sounds to me like you did the only thing you can do with a day like that! Very frustrating. Maybe you could start a system like doctors have. They always call and leave a msg on our machine before any appts we have with them.