Friday, June 17, 2011

Oprah

Say what you want about Oprah but her life is an amazing picture of the sovereign desire of a God who does more than we could ask or imagine. I am watching Oprah Presents Master Class and it is such a reminder of God's sovereignty in each and every person's life.

Did you know her parents were 'together' ONE TIME? She was unwanted. Her mother hid her pregnancy with Oprah. She was unwanted by her mother and father but obviously wanted by God. He desired her. In the master class she says 'God has a bigger dream' and her life is such a parable of that truth.

Jeremiah 1:5 says "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,and before you were born I consecrated you". When I read that passage I see a teenager having a self image crisis as I hear Jeremiah say, 'I am just a youth' and God replies 'Do not say I am just a youth'. Don't you love that? God tells Jeremiah, and me as I read this, that he is more than any 'just' because God has a plan for him.

I was wanted. My mom took a drug to keep from miscarrying me. Oprah was wanted. Her mom hid her pregnancy and probably would have welcomed a miscarriage. But both Oprah and I were wanted by a God who tells us that the word 'just' can never be attached to his plan for our lives. I believe that's true of every one of us.

Each of our lives cause a bigger ripple in the waters of life than we can imagine. Very few of us will have the impact of Oprah Winfrey but each one of us is more than our 'just' would tell us we are.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Oprah's last words on her show were, "To God be the glory." Maybe that is why she has been so blessed.