Saturday, September 17, 2011

My New Hobby

I have a new hobby thanks to Teva, Charlie's groomer. The last time I took him to see her I dropped him off at 8am and when I went to pick him up at 5:55pm, Teva brought him out still brushing him and apologizing for the two mats that were still on him. Bless his heart. Bless her heart more.

She said she had brushed him out and then bathed him but he had lots of mats close to his skin that she hadn't noticed so she let him air dry, combed him out as much as she could, then bathed him AGAIN and gave him a deep conditioner, then brushed him out while he was drying, then combed and picked and cut and brushed for the rest of the day. I'm sure she fit some other dogs in there somehow but obviously, we had a problem.

So, here's the thing. I brush that dog. I admit it had been about a week since I had bathed him and brushed him out but I thought I was doing a pretty good job so I asked Teva for some advice and here is what we do now: We comb him out. With a metal comb. At least every other day. All the way to the skin. If I do it every day it only takes about five minutes. If I skip a day it takes more like fifteen minutes and neither one of us is very happy by the time he is tangle free.

To attempt to distract me, he will lay on the side I am brushing. Then he'll hop down and bring me his ball.

Do you think you could resist that waggy tail? Well, I can. Because that puppy has to be combed! Every day! All the way to the skin! With a metal comb! Or I'm going to lose my groomer. And she's sweet, and wonderful, and does a nice job, and loves my puppy. She thinks his kisses are sweet. We love Teva. She's a keeper.

And just in case you think you would never have a dog that requires that much attention, feel free to come cuddle with this sweet ball of softness. He feels like the softest, fuzziest stuffed animal you ever felt. And he hugs you back. And if you are really nice he will kiss your nose. Totally worth it.

No comments: