Monday, November 7, 2011

Our Mountain Climber

Friday night we got a "don't freak out" phone call. Saturday morning we got a broken ankle diagnosis. Monday morning we got a cast.

Our sixteen year old was bouldering here:


What's bouldering, you ask? Bouldering is apparently rock wall climbing without a rope because you don't go high enough to hurt yourself.


I beg to differ.

While we were at the orthopedic clinic she saw a friend from school. He had broken both wrists and an elbow dunking a basketball. His mother reported that he had swung too high, gone horizontal, and let go at the wrong time. My daughter relayed his comment to me, 'it was my hands or my face'. When he left she said 'My friends are so bomb!" For those of you who don't spend time with teenagers, bomb means cool. She was so impressed by his injuries and so proud that she had seen him at the orthopedic clinic with her rock climbing, I mean bouldering, ankle.

While we were in the waiting room the morning news was talking about extreme sports in Africa. My daughter wants to go to Africa right now (as in, she wants to go RIGHT NOW or yesterday would have been better) so that was fun to watch and it also made her think of a question she's been meaning to ask me. "Will you and Dad give me sky diving for my 17th birthday?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


No!


She is trying to figure out how she's going to get her skinny jeans on over that thing. If she can't do it, she'll have to go shopping for clothes she'll never wear again in four weeks. Goodwill Store, here we come!

1 comment:

Wade said...

Sweatpants...MuMus...Togas...there are plenty of options available that don't require spending any money.